Greenworks Lending is changing the way buildings save energy. Join us!
About Greenworks Lending
The United States is in the midst of a once-in-a-generation change to the way we produce and consume energy. Commercial and industrial buildings use 50% of the country’s electricity, yet often lack capital and access to efficient financing to upgrade their systems or generate renewable energy.
Greenworks Lending is a rapidly growing company that provides financing for energy-saving upgrades in commercial buildings using an innovative model called PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy). PACE unlocks the commercial market by providing no-money-down, low-cost, long-term capital. Our mission is to improve the energy efficiency of our country by creating a new normal for financing energy upgrades in buildings.
The founding team at Greenworks developed the first successful commercial PACE platform at the Connecticut Green Bank. We are now scaling the model across the country. Greenworks is investor-funded and headquartered in Darien, CT with satellite offices in Maryland and Texas.
General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer: This is a senior role on the leadership team of Greenworks Lending. The General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives, as well as managing a legal team that is facilitating financial transactions and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel will be tasked with ensuring C-PACE transactions regularly close quickly and efficiently, developing legal structures for new markets, managing corporate development, and leading the compliance function.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Reports to and advises Greenworks’ CEO on all legal matters impacting the company.
- Provides legal advice and support to all internal departments.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including capital raises, and corporate development.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and managing legal entities, serving as key lawyer while managing external legal services on facility and asset-backed transactions.
- Manages and builds out a legal team to ensure efficient execution of Greenworks’ C-PACE real estate assessment closings.
- Oversees the preparation, review, and negotiation of all contracts, legal documents, and business agreements between Greenworks Lending and its commercial counterparties and collaborations.
- Leads corporate governance functions, including Board management and support on governance matters, and serves as non-voting corporate Secretary on Greenworks’ Board of Managers.
- Serves as a voting member of Greenworks’ Credit Committee.
- Ensures that Greenworks Lending conducts its business according to applicable laws and regulations.
- Allocates resources and ensures decisions are aligned with goals and objectives.
- Facilitates and manages the appropriate use and budgeting of outside counsel.
- Creates and manages structures for ensuring accuracy and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Leads corporate risk management.
The General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer position is ideally suited for a mission-driven leader excited about being in a dynamic environment moving to an exponential level of growth. All candidates should have:
- 10+ years of relevant experience in at least one of the following industries: commercial real estate, commercial clean energy finance, commercial energy efficiency/clean energy, and/or financial services. Experience in CLO or CMBS securitizations and asset-backed securities is a plus, as is experience in negotiating warehouse and other facilities.
- BA and JD from a top-tier university.
- Demonstrated leadership either in house or at a top law firm (both preferred).
- Proven track record of exceeding goals.
- Passion for Greenworks’ vision and the clean energy space.
- Leadership—inspires and motivates others to perform well; provides feedback to and accepts feedback from others.
- Execution – results-oriented and manages to tight timelines; ensures that proper expectations are set out and updated for transactions.
- Planning – considers current risks and challenges; puts groundwork in place to avoid pitfalls in the future; thinks ahead.
- Team player—aligns goals and works with peers and rest of organization to drive business results; optimizes for the good of the company, not individual departments.
- Management skills—includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and supports career growth.
- Strategic - is able to see “the big picture”; understands which trade-offs must be made to ensure long-term and short-term success.
- Analytical—synthesizes complex and diverse information to provide critical insights and feedback.
- Problem solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Oral communication—speaks clearly and persuasively in both positive and negative situations; demonstrates excellent presentation skills and conducts productive negotiations and meetings.
- Delegation—delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations, and monitors delegated activities,
- Quality management—looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment—displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing— ability to self-manage against goals and prioritize a large volume of tasks and projects.
- Adaptability - high level of adaptability in a quickly changing environment.
- Small-company instincts but someone who clearly can scale with the company’s growth objectives.
- Fun - ability to inject levity into stressful situations, and natural inclination to check ego at the door.
- Greenworks is based in Darien, CT, located close to the Darien train station
- Bonus structure based on meeting and exceeding milestones
- Social activities and a work life balance philosophy